Plant a Row is a passive program. A cooler will be placed in the library’s foyer on Wednesday afternoons. Drop-off will start at 4 pm on Wednesday afternoon and end at 8:00 pm on Thursday evening.
- We collect all types of fruit, vegetables, and herbs. We ask that people only donate fresh produce in good condition when delivered to our recipients. “Ugly fruit” is ok, but nothing that is bruised. If you would not serve it, please do not donate it.
- Tomatoes should be picked before they are ripe. As long as they are beginning to turn red, they will continue to ripen once picked. This is a general gardening recommendation, not just for donating.
- To keep tomatoes from bruising, we ask that they be placed in cardboard boxes or recycled containers from produce purchased at the grocery store. Small boxes from online ordering are great. Cereal boxes also can be repurposed for this use, just cut the top section out.
- Please keep tomatoes separate from other produce donations, as they produce a chemical that causes other fruit to ripen more quickly.
- If you use plastic bags to pack your donations, please do not tie the bags shut so that heat is not trapped in the bags.