Your child is eligible for their own library card
LCLC Share Card:
What is My First Library Card Program?
It’s Never Too Early to Start Visiting the Library! My First Library Card is an early literacy program to help your child build reading and language skills. Reading early will prepare children for kindergarten so they enter school with a love of books and ready to learn.
- For children, birth through age 5. The child’s parent/caregiver must also have an active, valid Lehigh Carbon Library Cooperative (LCLC) library card.
- Cardholders can borrow up to 20 books cooperative-wide from the Juvenile print collection at a time. DVDs, audiobooks, and other materials do not fall under My Friday Library Card borrowing privileges.
- No fines will be charged for overdue items!
- The Share card is accepted at all LCLC libraries.
The Importance of Early Literacy
Early childhood literacy positively impacts success
in school. Starting younger will help children recognize all letters, have word-sight recognition, and understand words in context.
A library card will help:
- Teach patience, respect, and to be conscious of time.
- Teach to choose wisely, and there are limits.
- Teach children moderation and use decision-making skills.
How Do I Sign Up My Child?
- Your little one must be present.
- The child’s parent/guardian must also have an active, valid Lehigh Carbon Library Cooperative (LCLC) library card.
- Your valid photo ID.
- Proof of your address if your ID address is not current.
More to Love
Parkland Perks! Your library card grants you access to more than just paperbacks. Keep kids reading with the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten rewards program. Get free online access to our eResources. Parents with questions or seeking guidance should check out our special collection on Parenting.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Early Literacy Program
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a national program to help parents prepare their children for one of life’s significant milestones: kindergarten. When you register for 1000 Books Before Kindergarten, you will receive your first reading log. Learn more here.
Kids POWER Library
Safe Online Learning
POWER Library allows families to watch videos and books online safely. Subjects include nature, the universe, culture, family, art and music, ABCs and 1, 2, 3‘s, and more. Enjoy reading aloud with word highlighting and interactive games. Some items are available in Spanish too! This database is suitable for recommendations, STEM projects, research, homework questions, and more.
Go to the Power Library.
Unique to PCL
Each LCLC library has a unique collection. At Parkland Community Library, our parenting collection includes materials and resources on various topics to support your role as a parent or caregiver. Topics include pregnancy, styles of discipline, developmental milestones, homeschooling, potty training, and beyond. Stop by the Barclay Family Children’s Wing.